Center for disease control recommends wearing face mask when you go to a public place such as grocery stores and pharmacies. These areas have high risk of community based transmission. A simple cloth covering also does the work but to manage it is quite difficult.
If you do not have a face mask and you are not getting it on the pharmacies you can create your own face mask at home. Creating your own face mask is cheap and you don’t have to visit the pharmacies again and again.
Note: Do not use cloth face mask for children below 2 years of age. Try to keep kids below 2 years of age indoors.
Face mask made from fabric are washable and must be washed regularly depending on the number of frequency of use.
Sewing Instructions – What to do and What not to do
How to Sew Cloth Face Mask
- Two rectangles of cotton fabric – size 10″ x 6″
- Two pieces of elastic (Rubber band, cloth strips, hair ties or String) – size 6″
- Thread and Needle
- Sewing Machine
Tutorial on how to stitch face mask by cloth
- Take a cotton cloth for example, woven cotton, quilting fabric or cotton sheet. T – shirt fabric can also work.
- Cut 2 pieces of cotton fabric in 10 by 6 inch of size.
- Stack both the pieces as it were single piece of fabric
- Fold the long side for about 1/4 inch
- Fold the short side of the fabric for about 1/2 inch and stitch them.
- Run a 6-inch length elastic from the short side to make ear loops.
- Tie the elastics from the ends and pull a little bit of the elastic so the knots go inside.
- Stitch the elastic in place to keep the elastic from slipping.
- Your face mask is ready to use.
Step by step Images